HOBOKEN, N.J. (November 24, 2020) – It is time for the following installment of “Meet The Duck Tuesday.” This week, we caught up with Head Ladies’s Fencing Coach, Linda Vollkommer-Lynch.
One of many longest-tenured coaches within the NCAA, Linda Vollkommer-Lynch is ready for her 47th season in Hoboken and is the one head coach the Geese’ ladies’s fencing program has ever identified. The Hoboken native has compiled 615 victories in opposition to simply 310 losses (0.665 successful proportion) and is the longest-standing head coach in Stevens historical past. Below her path, the Geese have gained no less than 20 matches in 11 straight seasons.
Initially touchdown on Fortress Level in 1974 to start the primary ladies’s sport at Stevens, Vollkommer-Lynch would transfer to full-time standing in 1976, instructing a number of bodily schooling programs, which led to her turning into the primary girl school member to obtain tenure. Along with beginning the ladies’s fencing program, she additionally tried to spearhead different varsity packages together with softball and girls’s volleyball earlier than shifting her focus solely to fencing.
The Geese have been one of the profitable Division III ladies’s fencing packages within the nation, making two journeys to the NCAA Division III Championships, incomes the Northeast Regional Championship in 1982. The Geese have ended the season as the best DIII finisher within the Nationwide Intercollegiate Ladies’s Fencing Affiliation (NIWFA) Championships on seven totally different events, whereas additionally capturing 5 Japanese Ladies’s Fencing Convention (EWFC) crew titles. A nine-time convention Coach of the 12 months, Vollkommer-Lynch based the EWFC in 2000 and nonetheless serves because the group’s treasurer.
Along with the crew’s accolades, below Vollkommer-Lynch’s path, 18 student-athletes have earned All-NIWFA picks, six have been named EWFC Girl of the 12 months, whereas 23 have earned EWFC Fencer of the 12 months of their respective weapon. Six former student-athletes have gone on to be enshrined in Stevens’ Athletics Corridor of Fame.
Within the classroom, the Geese have had no less than one student-athlete named to the NIWFA All-Tutorial Crew in 21 consecutive years and two student-athletes have earned the Arthur Ashe Jr. Sports activities Students Award.
Vollkommer-Lynch earned her Bachelor of Arts diploma in bodily schooling from Jersey Metropolis State School (now New Jersey Metropolis College) in 1970 and was elected to the establishment’s athletic Corridor of Fame in 1984. As a Woman Gothic, she fenced for 3 seasons, serving as crew captain in her junior and senior campaigns. As a senior, the Woman Gothics (now Gothic Knights) completed fifth on the Nationwide Collegiate Ladies’s Fencing Championships, whereas posting a 14-1 document en path to incomes the highest rating within the state of New Jersey. Individually, Vollkommer-Lynch posted a exceptional 75-29 mark in her senior season. She additionally competed within the U.S. Ladies’s Fencing Olympic Trials in 1984.
Vollkommer-Lynch would additionally go on to obtain an honorary Grasp of Engineering diploma from Stevens in 2004 and was additionally enshrined within the Hudson County Corridor of Fame (2000) and the New Jersey State Corridor of Fame (1985).
- First 12 months at Stevens: 1974. My first two years, 1974 and 1975 have been part-time, then I grew to become full-time in 1976.
- Favourite factor about working at Stevens: The scholars
- Finest student-athlete at Stevens throughout your time right here: Outdoors of my fencers, after all, I must say Amy Regan due to all of the nationwide championships she gained.
- Proudest second throughout your time at Stevens: Going to the primary NCAA Ladies’s Fencing Championships in 1982.
- A enjoyable reality about you that most individuals have no idea: President-elect Joe Biden confirmed me easy methods to use my mobile phone! Whereas he was Vice President, I noticed him on Important Road in Nantucket. Nobody else was bothering him so I went as much as him and requested if we may take an image with him. I requested if we may take a selfie and he stated certain. I set the digicam up, he interrupted and stated that the digicam was dealing with the mistaken means and the image was going to be of his spouse and canine and that I needed to push the selfie button, which I did not know existed. He requested me if I needed him to indicate me, so we went and sat on a bench for 30 minutes with him displaying me easy methods to take the selfie! It was my first-ever selfie!
- What’s the most fascinating reality about you? I maintain saltwater fly fishing data in Nantucket!
- What accomplishment are you most pleased with? Retaining our ladies’s fencing program going all of those years. We have competed in opposition to Division I groups and have saved this system alive and thriving all of those years.
- First job: My very first job was a lifeguard at a motel in Secaucus.
- 5 favourite songs: My all-time favourite music is “Again within the Excessive Life Once more” by Steve Linwood. I additionally need to additionally choose “Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin; “Crusing,” Christopher Cross; “Layla,” Eric Clapton and naturally, “That is Life” by Frank Sinatra.
- First live performance: Woodstock
- Favourite entertainer: Bob Marley
- Favourite film or tv present: The Wizard of Oz (film) and Seinfeld (tv)
- Favourite ebook: I don’t assume I’ve a favourite ebook
- Favourite meals: Any sort of fish
- Favourite snack: Goldfish
- Favourite radio station: Q104.3
- Favourite quantity and why: 26 as a result of it was my quantity after I performed basketball in highschool
- Favourite faculty or skilled sports activities crew: My favourite skilled sports activities crew can be the New York Giants and my favourite faculty crew is Michigan State.
- Favourite place on campus: America’s Cup
- Favourite pizza place in Hoboken: Gio’s
- What is the one meals you can by no means carry your self to eat? I am unable to stand uncooked oysters
- Who would play you in a film? Glenn Shut
- What did you need to be if you have been a toddler? I all the time needed to be a trainer. I taught bodily schooling at North Bergen highschool earlier than I got here to Stevens.
- Who was/is your mentor: My mom. I may simply hope to be as wonderful as she was.
- Favourite quote: I do not assume I’ve one.
- Favourite household custom: Christmas Eve – we’re very huge with giving tons of presents in our household.
- Favourite board recreation: Life
- Utilizing one phrase, how would you describe your loved ones? Enjoyable
- How do you spend an off day? It relies upon the place I’m actually. Hopefully, the off day can be in a spot the place I may fish.
- Favourite trainer and why? I do not bear in mind the names of most of my lecturers.
- What’s one thing standard that annoys you? Lengthy questionnaires
- Favourite place to journey to: My favourite place on this planet is Alaska.
- Finest recommendation you ever obtained: By no means quit
- In the event you may have any superpower, what would you select and why? To fly so I haven’t got to pay for airline tickets! I’ve traveled everywhere in the world and have been to all 50 states. Throughout the summer season, I select a distinct state or nation to go to.
- Who can be at your good ‘Desk for 4’? I’d need Frank Sinatra, however then I would need to get rid of my husband. So, I’ll go together with my mom, my father and my husband.
- What’s your most prized possession? My well being.
- Who’s your oldest pal? I believe my oldest pal proper now’s former males’s volleyball coach Patrick Dorywalski. We met at a well being membership in New Jersey, the place he was teaching a volleyball crew and that is how I bought him to be the volleyball coach right here.
- Who’s your hero? Why? My husband as a result of he places up with me!
- Canine or cat? Neither. I like bears, however they are not pets!
- In or out? Out
- Scorching or chilly? Chilly
- Chocolate or vanilla? Vanilla
- Introvert or extrovert? Extrovert
- Espresso or Tea? If I had to decide on, I’d say, espresso, I suppose.
- Pancakes or waffles? Waffles
- Cardio or weights? Weights
- Bacon or Sausage? Bacon
- Dawn or sundown? Sundown
- Cake or Pie? Cake
- On-line purchasing or purchasing in a retailer? Buying in a retailer
- Breakfast, lunch or dinner? Dinner
- Seashore or pool? Seashore
- Pen or Pencil? Pen
- Driver or passenger? Passenger
- Glass half empty or half full? Half full
- Card recreation or board recreation? Board video games
- Ninjas or Pirates? Pirates
- Fruits or greens? Fruits
- Would you quite be wealthy or well-known? Well-known
- Library or museums? Museums
- Summer time or Winter? Winter, as a result of it’s fencing season!
- Hamburgers or scorching canines? Cheeseburgers
- Who would win in a struggle? Superman or Batman? Superman
Fb: “Like” Stevens Athletics
SEA-MALLS | CURATED | QUALITY | VALUE | CONVENIENCE
Discover Excessive High quality Merchandise, Rigorously Curated from the perfect Malls for
your comfort on SEA-Malls.com.
Professor Owl rigorously selects what’s at the moment trending; High High quality,
From Crystals to Attire; If it’s not adequate for Professor Owl, it
has no place on SEA-Malls!
Trusted by Clients throughout 6 Continents, Professor Owl all the time says,
“High quality and Worth are NOT mutually unique”.
With Merchandise All the time on Sale, Over 45, 000 5 Star Opinions &
All the time FREE Transport Globally, SEA-Malls delivers top quality, trending merchandise at actual worth & true comfort.